11:00 am – 12:00pm, on your specified day/route on Monday through Friday. (Drivers usually choose one day per week or allow us to call them on a substitute basis).
There are several different “routes” that leave from The Thompson each weekday to deliver meals in Barnard, Bridgewater, Pomfret, and Woodstock.
Volunteer Driver Goals:
- Deliver nutritious warm meals to homebound or disabled individuals.
- Provide a daily, friendly check-in and act as a liaison between The Thompson and the homebound.
- Notify The Thompson staff if someone on your route does not answer their door or you have other concerns.
- Arrive at the center a few minutes before 11:00 am. Record your hours in the volunteer section of the computerized system in the lobby.
- Pick up the meals from the kitchen. Be sure to count all of your bags & hot meals (Hot meals are separate from the bags of salads & desserts) and understand your route directions and delivery instructions for the day. If you have questions, ask the Meals on Wheels (MOW) Coordinator before you leave the Thompson.
- Deliver meals to the designated people on your route (using your own vehicle). If someone does not answer the door, do not leave the meal (unless you have received other specific instructions).
- Notify the office staff if anyone was not at home or if you have other concerns.
- Maintain confidentiality of participant names, conditions, or situations.
- Participate in semi-annual driver meetings and/or training with MOW Coordinator
You may return to The Thompson for a free volunteer lunch meal if you wish or go directly home after your route.
Please contact Meals on Wheels Coordinator, Siobhan Wright, at (802) 457-3277, or at email@example.com with questions or to sign up as a volunteer driver.
Please note: For the safety of our participants, background checks are completed for Meals on Wheels drivers prior to their first individual delivery route.