The month of March mobilizes hundreds of local Meals on Wheels (MOW) programs across the country to reach out to their communities and build the support that will enable them to serve America’s elder population all year long. As a member of the national organization, Meals on Wheels America, The Thompson participates in this annual celebration. This year also marks the 50th anniversary of the Older Americans Act nutrition program and Meals on Wheels.
In 2021, we delivered 11,247 Meals on Wheels!
Volunteers for The Thompson currently deliver 45 – 50 meals each day (Monday through Friday) to older Vermonters throughout the towns of Woodstock, Bridgewater, Barnard, and Pomfret.
The highlights of our March for Meals events this year:
- Our 8th annual Thank You Walk – Instead of our traditional “march,” this year volunteers and staff will be assigned to deliver cookies and balloons to local businesses who support us.
- Community Champions week is March 21-25 where town officials and local celebrities nationwide are asked to participate in meal deliveries and events.
- Wednesday, March 23 at 10:00 am will be our annual MOW driver meeting providing an opportunity for a review of requirements/procedures, to share ideas, and to celebrate the wonderful work of our MOW volunteers!
- Special Thanks to the Woodstock Farmers’ Market for once again making our meals program the beneficiary of their “Round-Up” campaign!
- Watch for our Meals on Wheels column in the Vermont Standard and visit our Facebook page for videos and more.