The Thompson Aging at Home program can help facilitate Homesharing!
- A way to provide companionship
- Someone to help around the home
- An opportunity to offset housing expenses
Homeshare IS NOT:
- A personal caregiver situation
- An apartment finding service
- An opportunity to live rent free
Homesharing is a simple idea where two or more people share a home for mutual benefit. A person offers a private bedroom and shared common space in exchange for rent, help around the home or a combination of the two. After conducting background and reference checks, we will work to find the most compatible match possible based on your interests, needs, and lifestyle. There are no age or income restrictions to be eligible for the program.
- Are you living alone with extra space and would feel more comfortable having someone living in your home?
- Do you have a spare bedroom and private or shared bathroom a guest can use?
- Can you use help cooking, cleaning, yardwork, driving, etc.?
- Are you looking for affordable living but rentals are hard to find?
- Are you willing to provide some services in exchange for a portion of rent?
- Would you be open to sharing part of a home and life with an older adult?
Homesharing is a mutually beneficial situation that is flexible in arrangement and can be modified once you know what works and what doesn’t.
We are frequently asked this tax related question. If a person gets an income adjustment on their property taxes, can they still homeshare without losing that benefit? Yes, you will have to report your rental income as part of your income on your tax forms, but a special law was passed that exempted the income of a homesharer from your household income as long as you have a homesharing agreement with a non-profit homesharing organization and you send that in with the Vermont tax return. The homesharer cannot file for a renters rebate.
We’re actively looking for guests for multiple homes. You can download the application, fill out, and either mail to us or drop off.
Click here to apply as a GUEST
For more information, contact Shari Borzekowski at 802-457-3277 ext. 4 or email: email@example.com.